The information below has been collected by the Citylife team via intense research in collaboration with Proyecto Océano, one of Barcelona’s most known legal associations. Please keep in mind that we are not directly related to any legal or government departments and the information may be subject to change.
The Empadronamiento is an official registration process that City Hall uses to keep track of those who are currently living in the region. The registry acts as your proof of residency in the municipality and informs the council of all current inhabitants. You can read more about the Empadronamiento on the official page of the city of Barcelona here.
Are you are unsure if you need the Empadronamiento or not, or have any questions regarding other documents you might need in Spain? Don’t worry, simply read our main article and follow the step we’ve prepared for you there!
Steps to obtain the registration of residency (Empadronamiento)
- Request an appointment with the Barcelona City Hall, you can do this online or by calling the phone number: 010. If you wish to make an appointment online, just click “iniciar el trámite” and the complete the subsequent form.
- Prepare your personal documents:
- If you are Spanish: Spanish ID card or passport
- If you are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein: National ID card or passport
- If you are from anywhere else: Passport.
- Prepare the following, required documentation:
- Valid rental contract
- Proof of most recent rental payment (which should consist of information to identify the rental: leaseholder, landlord, property address, date of pay, etc.) if you have yet to pay rent in your new flat, you can present proof of the deposit payment.
Do you still have questions or other legal topics you need answered?
Simply fill out the form below and your query will be sent to us as well as to our friends at Proyecto Océano, one of Barcelona’s most known legal associations, who are also here to help you out! Please note: By sending the form below, you automatically agree that we can forward your data to Proyecto Océano.