Want to impress your friends with a classic Spanish dish? Want to spend less than 10 minutes preparing it? Make pan con tomate (pa amb tomàquet in Catalan)! The name translates to bread with tomato and that’s exactly what it is. One of the most popular Catalan dishes, pan con tomate is usually eaten beside a cup of coffee at breakfast, or as a side dish for lunch and dinner. The first official recipe was written in 1884 but it’s been around much longer than that. It pairs excellently with a bowl of olives and a glass of red wine!
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- Pan de cristal (a baguette will do but it’s traditionally made with pan de cristal)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- Olive oil
- Slice bread and toast until golden brown.
- Rub garlic over cut surface of bread and drizzle on the olive oil.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and, with a cheese grater, shred them into a bowl.
- Add salt to the shredded tomato and mix well.
- Spoon the shredded tomato onto toast and enjoy!