Many of you will be coming to Barcelona from countries with a different currency from the Euro. So, its important to familiarize yourself with how things work here. From exchange rates and transaction fees to banking services! To make it easier on you, Citylife Barcelona has made a step by step guide to figuring all these things out – all you have to do is download the free Barcelona Essentials guidebook. Here we have laid out everything you need to know, and everything you should inquire about while still at home.
We know you’ve got a lot of research and plans to get finished before you arrive in Barcelona. And that why we wanted to make the whole process as easy as possible by teaming up with one of Spain’s biggest banks – Banco Sabadell – to hook you up with a free, easy to obtain bank account! If you choose to bank with Banco Sabadell you will be able to open, maintain and use your account for free. Banco Sabadell offers its services in English at all of their locations and also offers an easy-to-use online platform, so you can even open your account before you arrive in Barcelona and activate it once you do!
The free bank account you would apply for is called “Cuenta Expansión” and it includes:
- Free, secure online banking in English and Spanish
- No maintenance or start-up costs
- Free debit card and credit card
- Customer service in English and Spanish
- No fees on international transfers within the Euro-Zone or the UK in €
- Free withdrawals from any Sabadell Group ATM as well as any Euro 6000 / Bankia ATM (in case of withdrawals at any Euro 6000 / Bankia ATM, you will need to withdraw a minimum of 60€ to avoid fees otherwise 60 cents will apply)
- Return of 1% of your direct debited bills (up to 20€ per month)
To open your free bank account with Sabadell, simply fill out the form here or alternatively, download & fill out the following form and send it to email@example.com! (Application FREE Sabadell Bank Account: English Form | Spanish Form) and attach your EU/ID or Passport. We will immediately forward your request and put you on copy in the e-mail! Further instructions will then follow in the e-mail.
There are several options to choose from when it come to transferring money to and from your new bank account. It is important to analyze the benefits and costs of these different transfer options to ensure that you get the best deal on your international money transfers. You can either:
2. Send money through your current bank (always ask for the related fees; some banks charge a lot for international money transfers)
3. Use online money transfer platforms such as Transferwise (your first transfer of up to 3000€ is for free!) and Paypal. When using Paypal, remember that the recipient will need to have an account as well, which can be limiting. Transferwise is very handy and the rates are usually a good deal. The benefits of Transferwise are that you get to send money directly into someones account.
Your friendly neighbourhood travel guide,